The island was home to the oldest and most important city that history has known in Sardinia:
the Phoenician Solky and the Roman Sulcis, which still today transmits its ancient splendor giving the name to the whole territory of the Sardinian south-west, the Sulcis.
Although rich in prenuragic, nuragic and Roman testimonies, the island and every corner still breathes the glories of the Phoenician era. The sacred area of the Tophet, the Necropolis, the suggestive hypogeic village, the acropolis, the new Archaeological museum, remind us that Solky was the first and most important Phoenician-Punic settlement in Sardinia.
In Sant'Antioco there is the oldest church in Sardinia: the Basilica of Sant'Antioco martyr. Built by the Byzantines in the 5th century A.D. , preserves the only Catacombs present in Sardinia, the last home of the black Saint come from Mauritania.
From 1520, every year, fifteen days after Easter, the city venerates its saint in the perpetuation of an ancient festival, during which parade folk groups from all over Sardinia.
This event is repeated in August to delight tourists on the island.
One step from the Basilica, one reaches one of the most suggestive areas to visit: the hypogeic village.
The village is composed of a series of caves from the Punic era that, starting from 1615, were used as dwellings by the humblest people who returned to the island after centuries of neglect due to constant barbarian raids.
In this area there is also the Ethnographic Museum with its various sections dedicated to the past agro-pastoral world.
Particular interest is the area dedicated to the processing of the byssus, the silk of the sea, ancient textile art handed down from the Phoenicians and now knows the world a single depositary: our fellow citizen Chiara Vigo.
Forte Su Pisu watches majestically from the highest point of the hill as we descend towards the imposing Necropolis and the sacred area of the Tophet. The archaeological area in which we find ourselves extends on the northern outskirts of the city towards the road that leads to the second Municipality of the island, Calasetta, with its inhabitants of Ligurian origin.
Coming down from the bridge, along the promenade, we arrive at the new and well-equipped marina where, from the pleasure craft, the fishing boats offer the extraordinary spectacle of the sea: the nets just sailed with the fishermen intent to loosen the sea bass, sea bream , mullets, mullets ... undisputed protagonists of the typical island dishes.
Forwarding towards the center, the Corso Vittorio Emanuele welcomes us in its gallery formed by lush ficus; we are in the heart of the city, in its commercial and institutional center, in the tree-lined avenue that every summer evening and winter weekends teem with young people, life and fun with the locals who offer nights and nights all to live .